University of Connecticut Cape Town Study Abroad Program

University of Connecticut Cape Town Study Abroad Program
Front: Leah, Erica, Kayley; Second Row:Adam, Meredith, Sarah, Katherine, Pamela, Michelle, Rachel, Brittany; Back: Marita, Vincent, Brett, Vernon

Sunday, April 11, 2010

Michelle counting the remaining days


Twenty-two days. It doesn’t seem like a long time, and I can’t imagine that I will only get to see the sun set over Table Mountain twenty-two more times.

 Or see the clouds completely engulf the mountain, as the weather is changing. There’s a lot more rain and clouds lately than sun and warmth.

I had a little freak out on April 1st. It was tough hitting the month of April, for many reasons. I was coming to the realization that my time here really is coming to an end, and I began evaluating my expectations for the trip, how I have functioned here, and if I am happy with both. At first I was very hard on myself. I haven’t really made any friends while I have been here, I feel out of place most of the time, and I have had to confront some of my own character flaws, like not being assertive enough, feeling awkward a lot of the time, and confronting my own irrational fears of being left out. Its been really tough, but I think I have come through it a stronger and more mature young woman. I usually don’t do “alone” very well, as I tend to get irrationally lonely when I am alone for just a night. Instead, now, I am more secure in myself, and am excited to spend the summer up at UConn (almost) by myself. I think I will be more independent and secure in myself

 I have also been a little nervous about not experiencing enough. I know we have done so much, but I can’t help but think that I still haven’t done it all. I know that I can’t possibly do everything, but I simply wish that I could either have much more time, or I will just have to make the most of the next three weeks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment