University of Connecticut Cape Town Study Abroad Program

University of Connecticut Cape Town Study Abroad Program
Front: Leah, Erica, Kayley; Second Row:Adam, Meredith, Sarah, Katherine, Pamela, Michelle, Rachel, Brittany; Back: Marita, Vincent, Brett, Vernon

Saturday, April 17, 2010

Kayley confronts a heart-wretching reality


Even after these 3 ½ months  my mind still can not comprehend the following; Prof and I driving through Khayelitsha in a fancy car listening to classical music while carrying out an in depth conversation about the current and future major health issues that South Africa faces. Everything is a learning experience here. But going into Khayelitsha each week is one of the greatest learning experiences ever. I am forced to acknowledge heart wrenching real issues that people face. I know I always talk about my experiences in Khayelitsha but I learn and see so much that I just need to share. The following experience is pretty sad, but I have been thinking about for a while. I think whoever reads this blog should know some of the realities here.

Today in Khayelitsha this 7 year old girl came in with her mother. She had the brightest spirit I have seen, full of giggles and smiles. She just kept dancing  around the room and randomly she would run over to me, I would tickle her then she would run back to her mom and repeat the act.

Prof stepped out of the room to make a few calls, while I played with the baby girl for a bit. When he came back in, he told the mom to wait outside of the room until he finished with the rest of the patients. He said he would then direct her to the proper clinic.

After they left he told me what happened to this baby girl. She came to the Clinic today because her vaginal warts came back. This 7-year-old girl has vaginal warts because two years ago she was raped. She was raped by a man who thought that by raping a virgin he could get rid of his Aids. Prof said he has talked to men that actually believe that if you have sex with a virgin you can get rid of your HIV/Aids. So now this 7-year-old baby girl is HIV (+), has vaginal warts because of being HIV (+) and was raped at 5 years old.

I would have never known that anything like that happened to this girl she just looked so bubbly and happy. A part of my heart will be forever with that baby girl and with all of the kids I have met in the Khayelitsha Clinic. 

No comments:

Post a Comment