University of Connecticut Cape Town Study Abroad Program

University of Connecticut Cape Town Study Abroad Program
Front: Leah, Erica, Kayley; Second Row:Adam, Meredith, Sarah, Katherine, Pamela, Michelle, Rachel, Brittany; Back: Marita, Vincent, Brett, Vernon

Friday, April 16, 2010

Adam can't wait to go home with his new perspective

Going to see two practice soccer games in the brand new World Cup Cape Town stadium was a great experience.  Before hand we went to a place called New York Bagels because we had heard that the owner had traveled to New York to learn how to make bagels.  Needless to say the bagels couldn’t compare to a real New York bagel.  The fans at the game were crazy, many of whom were waving flags supporting their teams (mostly South African flags) and constantly blowing these obnoxious horns that I forget the name of.  Unfortunately in the first match South Africa lost to Nigeria, three to one.  Feeling all of the energy in the stadium and hearing all of the noise when it wasn’t even full it is hard to imagine how crazy the actual World Cup will be.   

I’m very excited to return home to America.  At this point I have begun to long for my home country.  I miss the food, the media, the pop culture, family, friends, my dog and just home in general.  Cape Town is wonderful and I definitely intend to come back one day but there’s just something about America that is home and I now realize that I will always feel this way.  I am glad for all these friends that I have made and will surely not forget this place and these people for the rest of my life

Reflecting back on my time in Cape Town I realize how much this trip has changed me.  I have become more mature, informed and open-minded.  Coming from a very “white-bread” background living in South Africa has helped me to see what I had previously only read in textbooks.  I can’t wait to go home with this new and exciting perspective that I have developed.  I can only imagine that this new outlook on things will be beneficial to me as I assimilate back to life in America and eventually enter into the real world.

No comments:

Post a Comment