University of Connecticut Cape Town Study Abroad Program

University of Connecticut Cape Town Study Abroad Program
Front: Leah, Erica, Kayley; Second Row:Adam, Meredith, Sarah, Katherine, Pamela, Michelle, Rachel, Brittany; Back: Marita, Vincent, Brett, Vernon

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Michelle's gonna miss many things about CPT

I know that I started my last blog with a count down of how many days we had left, and I still find it shocking that there are only 10 more full days in Cape Town. At this point I’m not even really sure what to write. I have had an incredible, challenging time here, and I’m not really sure how I am going to express everything to my friends and family back home. Even while I am here the constant question that I hear is, “How is Africa?” How do I tell them that the way that I see the world has completely shifted in a concise answer that they so obviously want to hear? I don’t really have an answer to that question. What I can give are a number of stories, experiences, pictures, and new exciting ways to look at the world.

I know that my friends, family and boyfriend are very excited to have me home, but there are going to be a lot of things, a lot of little things, and some big that I will really miss. I’ll really miss the mini-bus taxis. I never expected to love them so much. They are perfect, in their own way, for the city. They evolved to fit the city, and the needs of its people. They snake throughout the city and the surrounding suburbs and townships. They don’t have set times or a schedule. You very well may be the 20th passenger in a 16 passenger van. You may not end up exactly where you want to go. But they’re fantastic. There’s so much spirit, and the gachee (not sure on the spelling) is my favorite part. He’s a little man (and sometimes woman) who calls out the window advertising where the mini-bus is going. The best part is when they get out and try to convince you to go to, say, Wynberg. I am not going to Wynberg. I will not ever be going to Wynburg. But that man sure will really try and convince me that that’s where I want to go.

I’m going to miss our little house rivalry between the two main grocery stores, Checkers and Pick’n’Pay. Pick’n’Pay is the only way to go, by the way. I’ll miss the fantastic Indian food, Mr. Delivery, and being able to buy wine not only in the grocery store, but for the equivalent of $3.  I’ll miss rusks (kind of like biscotti) and roioibos tea. Copious amounts of nutella and my beloved kinder eggs. I can’t even get started on how much I’ll miss milk tart. I’ve already looked up recipes so that I can make it at home.

I’ll miss seeing the mountain from a million different angles during the day. I’ll miss the great view of Devil’s Peak, sweeping into the Table, down into Lion’s Head and Signal Hill. I’ll miss the Twelve Apostles overlooking Camp’s Bay beach. Also, at Adam’s request I will also write that I will really miss the two adorable dogs that live in our neighbor’s house.

I’m really going to miss Susan and Ciska, Tebogo, Charl, Liesl, and Tatenda, and painfully so, I will miss Vernon. Numerous times in the house, we have talked about naming our children Vernon after the man who introduced us to his beautiful but challenging country wth the utmost patience. I will miss living in this house, with these 11 other people, who I will be bonded with for life. I haven’t really thought about it that much, but hopefully our very unique relationships with each other will hold true when we get home. 

Although I will miss many things about this country, and the people in it, there are a few things about the States that I am excited to have again. Like a good hairdryer, Niko’s barbeque chicken pizza, Chinese food, filter coffee (everyone drinks instant coffee here). As I write this, everyone has started making plans for their first meals back in the States. I have realized that a lot of things that I love, and things that remind me of places are food. It’s a little funny, but it makes sense. Food brings people together, and its certainly bonded us in the house, as many of us truly learned to cook for the first time.

It really has been a great time; even the not-so-great-times have been great in figuring out where I really want to be in life. Now, the only thing I can hope is that I can come back and bring family and friends and really show them the South Africa that I love.

And I want to see their reaction when I jam them on a crowded mini-bus while I smile all the way around Cape Town. 

No comments:

Post a Comment