University of Connecticut Cape Town Study Abroad Program

University of Connecticut Cape Town Study Abroad Program
Front: Leah, Erica, Kayley; Second Row:Adam, Meredith, Sarah, Katherine, Pamela, Michelle, Rachel, Brittany; Back: Marita, Vincent, Brett, Vernon

Friday, April 23, 2010

Brittany on being radically changed by Cape Town

I am infuriated by the harsh contrast between severely impoverished areas to extreme wealth in South Africa. The racial inequalities have caused the poverty. No inequality is more apparent then gaps in the education system. Only 8% of schools in South Africa have libraries. I have seen the difference in school resource distribution. I believe that education is the key to breaking the cycle of poverty. For this reason, I wanted to volunteer my time at a local high school.

The students at Thandokhulu High School face serious barriers and obstacles that prevent them from graduating.  They have told me stories about violence, drug abuse, gangs, and sometimes the fear of walking around in their own communities.  Thandokhulu needs a counseling, mental health, or therapy program but it is too expensive.  Students have a difficult time focusing on school work when they are trying to manage psychological and emotional trauma.  I am not qualified to run a counseling center but I am qualified to teach an after school art program, so that’s what I did.  Art is a powerful tool for expressing emotions, crossing cultural boundaries, having fun, and building confidence.  It provides a creative outlet, a safe space, and potential source of income if students chose to sell their work. 

The Art Program provided a new experience for some students who had never worked with materials like oil pastels or clay.  The classroom rules were simple; everyone respects the supplies and each other.  Putting down your artwork or someone else’s wasn’t allowed either.  I am not an art expert.  My role was to bring supplies, answer questions or make suggestions.  In the classroom it is the students that proved to be the experts each time they produced more amazing work. 

I want to take a moment and thank everyone who donated money and time to the art program.  You rock!  My family and friends in Connecticut organized an amazing fundraiser called “Feel the Rhythm” where participants celebrated international solidarity and social justice through music.  A special thanks to Rick Liegl of DrumEventsUnlimited.com for teaching everyone how to play the djembe.  Also, I want to say thanks to my mom, Joanne Britton and the other Zumba dance instructors who passionately teach others to love themselves and be healthy. 
I have truly appreciated every moment at Thandokhulu.  Organizing classes forced me to acknowledge how my academic career has been full of more unearned privileges.  I had endless resources in music and art classes growing up.  My native language matched the same language taught in class.  I was never discriminated against because of my identity.  I have learned more from the students then they have learned from me.  I have cherished each conversation with the students at Thandokhulu.  I will remember every shared smile and connection.  When I return home I will think about each memory as I work towards a world free from inequalities and discrimination.  I came to South Africa to make a difference but it was Cape Town that radically changed me.

No comments:

Post a Comment