University of Connecticut Cape Town Study Abroad Program

University of Connecticut Cape Town Study Abroad Program
Front: Leah, Erica, Kayley; Second Row:Adam, Meredith, Sarah, Katherine, Pamela, Michelle, Rachel, Brittany; Back: Marita, Vincent, Brett, Vernon

Monday, April 19, 2010

Adam's work at TAC

Zackie Achmat, an HIV positive activist, founded the Treatment Action Campaign in 1998.  Achmat and ten other activists founded the organization after the anti-apartheid gay rights advocate Simon Nkoli died of AIDS because antiretroviral drugs were not made available to him even though wealthy South Africans had access to such drugs.  Achmat even took a pledge not to take antiretroviral drugs until they were made available to all South Africans.  Many credit TAC with forcing former President Thabo Mbeki to make antiretroviral drugs available to all citizens.  TAC started with a small group of Cape Town activists and today has spread throughout all the regions of South Africa, and has become internationally recognized. 

Since it’s creation TAC has become a very well known organization.  Their famous t-shirts that say “HIV Positive” on them are based on the tall tale of the Danish king who wore a yellow star signifying Judaism under the Nazi regime.  TAC has done more than just make t-shirts however.  The organization sued the government for not taking an active role in preventing mother-to-child-transmission (MTCT) of HIV.  The court found in TAC’s favor stating that the government was not fulfilling the South African Constitution’s guarantee of health care for all.  The court ordered that MTCT programs were to be made available in South Africa’s public clinics.   

When I was choosing an activist project I wasn’t sure TAC was exactly where I wanted to be.  However as I began to read up on their history I became more intrigued by their organization.  I also thought it would be beneficial to be going into a township at least once a week because it is after all where millions of South Africans live out their lives.  I was also interested in learning more about HIV/AIDS because it has become almost a moot subject in the United States since it is not as prevalent as it once was.  I suppose it was my curiosity that got the best of me and pushed me towards doing my activist project at TAC.

When I first went to TAC I was hoping that I was going to be able to go into the community and maybe help educate or “spread awareness.”  I soon learned that is not what I was needed for.  Where TAC needed help was not out in the field, they had plenty of volunteers for that already.  What they needed help with was typing up reports and other documents.  At first I was not very enthused with these particular tasks that I was given.  However I came to understand that this is where my help was needed the most.  I learned that when helping an organization or a cause you may not always get to do your ideal work, but you must do the work that is the most beneficial to that particular organization.  For example one day I typed up an entire presentation for one of the activists working there.  I realized what I just did in an hour and a half might have taken him all day.  I was able to free up his day and allow him to do other work that was most likely more pressing.

TAC and all of their objectives connect to a major theme that has run throughout our discussions in class, which is equality.  Equality for all, whether you are a man or woman, black or white, gay or straight, HIV positive or not.  TAC was created because the government was not fulfilling its duties and providing proper healthcare to its entire people.  Medicine was not being provided to those who were HIV positive and living in poverty.  TAC played a large part in remedying this problem and forced the government to take action.

I felt that my work at TAC has made me a more open and understanding person.  Just walking into the TAC office you get a sense of solidarity that you don’t normally see everyday.  You are always greeted warmly and there is an unspoken bond between all those who are there working towards a common goal.  It was in the TAC office that for the first time I really think I witnessed ubuntu.  For that I am appreciative for the time I spent volunteering at the Treatment 

No comments:

Post a Comment