University of Connecticut Cape Town Study Abroad Program

University of Connecticut Cape Town Study Abroad Program
Front: Leah, Erica, Kayley; Second Row:Adam, Meredith, Sarah, Katherine, Pamela, Michelle, Rachel, Brittany; Back: Marita, Vincent, Brett, Vernon

Sunday, February 14, 2010

Pamela's Reflections on Christel House School

A week ago I started my internship at Christel House, which is a non-profit school for disadvantage learners from grade R to 12th grade in Cape Town. Christel House is working to break the cycle of poverty  by using education, and for what I’ve experienced for the past  two weeks the staff is working very hard to help make a difference in these children’s lives. I am extremely happy with my placement.

I have the chance to be working with the grade R  which is basically kindergarten. These kids are approximately five and six years old, they come from different townships around Cape Town but mostly Xhosa speaking children and the majority of them do not speak English. These kids are very energetic, they have to be the happiest kids I have ever met. They are so affectionate, they always want to hug or  just want to play with me… they are the cutest thing ever! The children are very eager and happy to learn. They work very hard and learn very quickly. They are so smart!

The grade R is where the kids learn how to speak English before they can go to grade one, therefore, I am working with Miss Angela which is the head teacher and Miss Phelo who is the assistant teacher who translate what miss Angela says to Xhosa. They are excellent teachers and take very good care of the children, they really care about each and everyone of them . I am very happy to be working with them, I feel welcome , I also feel like I am helping to achieve Christel house’s goal  for the kids.

Last week  the kids passed their very first test while I was here on what they have been learning for the past two weeks, I was very excited because I made them pass a portion of the test which was the primary color section. I was very pleased that the teachers trusted me to make them pass the test. Almost everyone knew their colors. I am very proud of them!

Sometimes it is very hard to communicate with the ones who don’t speak English because some of them tend to forget that I don’t understand Xhosa or Afrikaans but I try to use non-verbal communication which works most of the times or I just ask the teachers to translate for me.

This past two week I had the chance to meet children from grade one, sixth and seven. When they see me they speak Afrikaans to me thinking that I know how to speak it, I really wish I did. They are very welcoming and friendly. So far I have learned a few words in Xhosa, the kids  thought me , I also intend to learn a few words in Afrikaans. 

Working with these children in the past two weeks made me realize how much I miss being with my sisters, because some of them remind me so much of them personality wise. It also give me the strength to continue doing what I am suppose to because these kids need all the support that they can get.


Yesterday (02/12/10) I participated in my first South African protest against homophobia in front of parliament,  a few student of our group went  to show our support. It was very interesting for me because it was my first protest ever. I’m happy we helped a good cause.

On Friday(02/26/10) I will be starting my activist project ,  I will be volunteering at Thamba Care which is an organization that helps children living with AIDS, I am  looking forward to start on Friday I am also very excited  to learn more about it and help.

I am very happy to be working at Christel House in South Africa, so far it has been a great experience and I am wishing that it will get even better in the next weeks. I am thankful for this opportunity.

2 comments:

  1. Go, Pamy!! We are all so proud of you! I'm sure those children absolutely love you!!! Miss you, Cia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marcia said your blog brought tears to her eyes too!!

    ReplyDelete