University of Connecticut Cape Town Study Abroad Program

University of Connecticut Cape Town Study Abroad Program
Front: Leah, Erica, Kayley; Second Row:Adam, Meredith, Sarah, Katherine, Pamela, Michelle, Rachel, Brittany; Back: Marita, Vincent, Brett, Vernon

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Meredith's reflection on Table Mountain

 
Meredith with Table Mountain
I’m currently sitting on a comfy couch in our common room trying to decide what to write my second blog post about.  It should be something meaningful, something that has impacted my life here so far, and something that we’ve managed to overcome.

I honestly don’t even have to think too hard about it because what I’m going to write about is starring me in the face right now. Table Mountain.  All I have to do is pull the curtain back and there it is. Table Mountain in all its glory.

Witnessing it from the airplane at the final stretch of the tedious seventeen-hour flight completely took my breath away.  Now, one month into our trip I still catch myself in a complete trance by its beauty.  For some reason, I just cannot get enough of it.  It’s an absolutely mesmerizing spectacle.  As one of my housemates Rachel put it a few weeks ago, “It’s just so beautiful, but why? I mean it is just a pile of dirt and rocks.”  What makes this mountain so special?

What makes this mountain so beguiling is how immeasurable it truly is.  It is hard not to feel so small when you look at how great Table Mountain is.  Sometimes when the clouds cover the peak of the mountain, it looks as if it could go on forever.  The artistry behind Table Mountain is that there is nothing man made about it, it is so naturally beautiful.  Table Mountain is always etched into the background of the sky.  Wherever you look, it is there.  Wherever you go, it is there.

At Loch Road one of the main topics of discussion that always tends to resurface is the symbolism behind the majestic Table Mountain.  It is so interesting to me that everyone here looks at the mountain and has adapted unique and completely different views on what it means to them.  In order to help with my blog I’ve asked a few of my fellow housemates about what they believe the metaphor behind the mountain is.  Michelle for instance views the mountain as a weight on the people of the land.  It is the
weight of responsibility.  To her, a constant reminder that justice has not been served.  A completely different perspective on the mountain was given by Kayley would believes the mountain signifies hope because it is so great and stands so strong over Cape Town.

As you can see we all have completely different views on the symbolism behind Table Mountain.  This comparison really helps show the broad spectrum of individuals who live under this roof.  We are all here with a variety of different views on almost everything, and yet we are all here for one underlying reason.  To make a difference. Last weekend we finally decided that it was time to conquer the mountain.  The hike was prolonged and painful.  The mountain itself is 1,086 meters so it took about four hours of rock climbing at a forty-five degree angle.

  There were a few moments of weakness when we did not think we would make it to the top but we continued to tread on until we finally reached the very peak.  It was such a powerful feeling that each one of us made it to the top.

In our class, History, Politics and Culture of South Africa, Vincent showed us a political cartoon with Nelson Mandela at the top of “freedom hill” with many other hills in the distance.  This political statement portrays the vast amounts of hills that the people of South Africa have to climb in order to completely gain their equality.  Even now, twenty years after Nelson Mandela was released from prison, there is still a constant mountain to be climbed.

As we hiked up Table Mountain, I realized how perfect the timing of this climb was.  This mountain has perplexed me since the moment we arrived in South Africa.  It just felt so far and impossible.  This feeling of disconnection is exactly how I felt the first time we ventured into the townships.  I felt so disconnected from the people of South Africa and I had such a longing to feel connected.  Now, a month into our trip, it no longer feels like a vacation where I’m just a tourist passing through.  Working here, studying here, interacting with the people here are all ways which have led me to feel like this is exactly where I should be right now.  Now when I look at Table Mountain, I feel connected to this place.  I conquered the climb and know exactly why I am here.

No comments:

Post a Comment