University of Connecticut Cape Town Study Abroad Program

University of Connecticut Cape Town Study Abroad Program
Front: Leah, Erica, Kayley; Second Row:Adam, Meredith, Sarah, Katherine, Pamela, Michelle, Rachel, Brittany; Back: Marita, Vincent, Brett, Vernon

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Adam's experience in South Africa has been progressing very nicely.


My experience in South Africa has been progressing very nicely. It’s hard to believe that we’ve been here for a full month already. I have been enjoying all of my classes, especially my Politics of South Africa class. Everyday I’m learning something new whether it’s at my internship, in the classroom, or just walking around town.  

Today I went cage diving with great white sharks. It was all that I’ve seen on the Discovery Channel and more. It was such a surreal experience being inches from a humongous shark that has been made so infamous by movies like Jaw. It was a very memorable encounter that I won’t soon forget.  

Another memorable excursion was our climb of Table Mountain. Our two-hour hike from the bottom to the top was extremely tiring. It was great to reach the top despite the all-encompassing fog that obscured our view quite a bit. I would definitely take this trip one more time before going home.  

My internship at the human rights organization, Black Sash has been great. I’ve had the perfect amount of work to do and it’s a very relaxed atmosphere. Everyone in the office is very friendly and helpful. I’ve been reading through Acts and have been writing summaries of them. It’s not the most exciting work but it should be helpful for the future if I attend law school. Hopefully in the near future I’ll be able to visit Parliament with Black Sash.  

I’m not sure what the future brings for me here in Cape Town. I’m very okay with this fact. At home I’d be snowed in stuck to my weekly schedules and syllabuses. Studying abroad in South Africa is definitely preferable to this alternative. All I know is what ever I discover next I won’t be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment