University of Connecticut Cape Town Study Abroad Program

University of Connecticut Cape Town Study Abroad Program
Front: Leah, Erica, Kayley; Second Row:Adam, Meredith, Sarah, Katherine, Pamela, Michelle, Rachel, Brittany; Back: Marita, Vincent, Brett, Vernon

Sunday, May 2, 2010

Pamela on the best experience of her life!

Seems like yesterday the twelve of us got on the plane and landed here in south Africa and now  it’s already time to go. My last week in South Africa was definitely interesting… On Sunday Meredith and I got invited to Mzoli’s to celebrate our co-worker’s birthday and also spend time outside of the classroom, it was definitely a fun experience! Mzoli’s is a famous braai place in Cape town situated in Gugulettu which is a township. I had so much fun that day , we arrived there at about noon and it was already full, there were no table left for us to sit so like everyone else who didn’t have a table we sat on the street… I know! It might sound weird but it was really fun. There was  a great vibe, the people , the food , the music everything was just great! We spent at least six hours there just sitting , talking and eating. I had a great time with them.
      
This past week I have been thinking about the time I spent here and how much I got out of it. Being in South Africa has made me learn so much about issues dealing with gender, race and class. I have a totally different view now on these issues. 
The best part about learning about these issues is that I got to experience different part of them here for example working at Christel and being able to go visit the children’s home in the township  thought me so much about race and class and even gender.
Working at Christel house was definitely an Awesome experience looking back , I don’t believe that I can compare it to anything I have done in the past … Being an intern has been the best experience here for me in South Africa . I cannot thank the kids and the teachers enough for being so welcoming and loving. I will miss the kids so much once I get back home. I learned so much from them, they will have a special place in my heart forever…
This was a great study abroad and I don’t think that I could have ask for better, Nothing will ever be able to top this experience. I know that I am going home a changed person , a better person because of what I have experienced here. I will dearly miss living in South Africa, the people that I have met here, the people I live with and the food! I want to thank Vernon, Marita , Ben , Vincent, my housemates and Christel House for making this the best experience of my life. This is not my last time in Cape Town, I will be back.

No comments:

Post a Comment