University of Connecticut Cape Town Study Abroad Program

University of Connecticut Cape Town Study Abroad Program
Front: Leah, Erica, Kayley; Second Row:Adam, Meredith, Sarah, Katherine, Pamela, Michelle, Rachel, Brittany; Back: Marita, Vincent, Brett, Vernon

Sunday, May 2, 2010

Leah's thank yous

There is not much more I can say about myself in South Africa at this point. The past four months have changed me. Now, I must thank those who made this change possible. 


First to Vernon. Vernon, thank you for “facilitating” my personal and intellectual change. Your guidance has irreversibly altered me and my future path. You may never comprehend the magnitude of the dramatic difference you have made in my life as a friend, mentor, role model, and teacher…thank you.  
Marita. Throughout this semester, I have admired your passionate, independent will to work for social justice. You have been a role model to me on my journey to becoming a strong, confident woman, dedicated to making the world a better place. Through your example, I have learned and changed immensely. Thank you.  
Ben. Thank you for always being there to chat. Whether about house issues or capitalism, you have been the best RA. Your dedication to the students continues to amaze me. I felt so much safer in South Africa with your presence.  
Mr. Tsoli. Thank you for sharing all of your stories with me. Your first-hand accounts of participating in the struggle amazed me and made the history of South Africa come alive to me. Thank you for your guidance and assistance in the field of teaching.  
Ms. Bopi. Thank you for always being a happy, singing, dancing, positive inspiration in my life. I will miss your smile so much. You made my semester in South Africa fun, hilarious, and so completely awesome! Thank you.  
Jacqui. Thank you for inspiring me. You showed me that one person really can make a difference in the world. Through your work, you are changing lives and working toward equal education. Thank you for the opportunity to assist you in your efforts. 
Vincent. Thank you for teaching me about the history and politics of South Africa. As we have all been saying, you made the material come alive. Your passion for the subject inspires me. 
My learners. Thank you for motivating me to continue on my path toward teaching. Whenever I would question my teaching ability or my impact, one of you would always remind me that I was getting through to you. Especially to Abongile, who was the first person to welcome me and my first good friend at Thandokhulu High School.  
My colleagues. Thank you for all of the conversation. Whether it was debates about prostitution or de-briefing about internships, you have kept my mind active. I am so happy that I have been able to become friends with all of you. I look forward to going back to UConn with 11 new friends! 
I have had a life altering experience here in Cape Town. I cannot thank all of you enough! For the South Africans, please keep in touch. For the Americans, I’ll see you all in a couple months. Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment