University of Connecticut Cape Town Study Abroad Program

University of Connecticut Cape Town Study Abroad Program
Front: Leah, Erica, Kayley; Second Row:Adam, Meredith, Sarah, Katherine, Pamela, Michelle, Rachel, Brittany; Back: Marita, Vincent, Brett, Vernon

Monday, May 3, 2010

Meredith enumerating the "lasts"

My mind is still processing leaving so here are my scattered thoughts going into the final day in South Africa:

This is weird. We are so close to leaving that this blog feels weird. Last blog. Tomorrow is our last day here, how can that be? Now every time I do something I think, this is probably the last time I’m going to be doing this. Going to Cocoa Wah Wah to finish up homework and munch on a gigantic cookie. Last time. Marcel’s for strawberry frozen yogurt and chocolate chips. Last time. Devouring a milktart. Last time. Lying on the beach looking out at the Indian Ocean. Last time. Sitting on a strangers lap on a minibus with twenty-three other South African. Last time. Hosting an African Braii. Last time. Hearing the clicking of the Xhosa language. Last time. Walking through the commons to Pick n’ Pay for last minute dinner items. Last time. Forty minute uphill walks to UCT on Thursdays. Last time. Hearing South African’s roll the pronunciation of the letter “R.” Last time. Six tea breaks a day. Last time. Living with twelve completely different people. Last time. Standing on the tip of Africa looking out at the world. Last time.

There are so many things that I am going to miss.  I’m trying not to think about it too much right now because we are all about to leave to go to the final dinner and I’m dressed up.  Wouldn’t want to smudge my makeup with the tears.  Already did that today when saying goodbye to the kids and coworkers at Christel House.  I am going to miss that place more than I can express.  I’ve learned so much from everyone there and I knew that leaving would be hard.  I didn’t realize it would be this hard.  I’m incredibly nervous about going home and missing the kids. 

Another part of Cape Town that I’m going to have trouble without is Table Mountain.  Wherever you go in Cape Town, you can still see it.  It is always there, looking down on you.  Like an omnipresent over the land.  It’s so big and strong and represents so many amazing things for Cape Town.  Table Mountain represents something different for each one of us so by not having it with me anymore will be rough.  I hope that I can take Table Mountain home with me in my heart. 

As Pamela and I walked to Rondebosh for our last stroll of well “lasts.” I thought about the difference between the beginning of the trip and the end of the trip.  How much we have all grown through our time of a variety of experiences.  I remember our first night sitting in Chai Yo and feeling incredibly home sick.  I remember getting home that night and crying because I was so far from my family and friends.  Now, I truly feel like Cape Town is one of my homes and I’m crying that I have to leave this place.  Cape Town has comforted me for these past four months in a way that even Connecticut can’t do.  It is hard to explain how much I love this place to someone who hasn’t been here.  All I can say is that this will not be my last time here.  There is no way I can live the rest of my life without coming back here.  Cape Town has a place in my heart forever. 

1 comment: