University of Connecticut Cape Town Study Abroad Program

University of Connecticut Cape Town Study Abroad Program
Front: Leah, Erica, Kayley; Second Row:Adam, Meredith, Sarah, Katherine, Pamela, Michelle, Rachel, Brittany; Back: Marita, Vincent, Brett, Vernon

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Meredith on finding confidence, inner strength and ability to take action

As I walked into the Grade R classroom at eight o’clock this morning I was just waiting for Mrs. Loren to ask the burning question.  “Well did you go through with it?”  I confidently replied that indeed a few days before I bungee jumped off of the highest commercial bridge in the world.  I laughed as Mrs. Loren explained to the kindergarteners what bungee jumping entails.  “A long rope is tied to your feet and you jump off of a huge bridge and spring back up.”  It wasn’t until it was translated to the kids in Xhosa with hand motions that they really understood the insanity behind physically pushing yourself off of a bridge.  “Would any of you ever like to do that?” As they looked at me shockingly with their mouths opened maybe about two students raised their hand half-heartedly.  The fact that six year olds seem to have more common sense than me was humorous.  I laughed.

This weekend all twelve of us packed up our bags and headed for a weekend trip out of the city to Plettenberg with the main intension to go bungee jumping at the Bloukrans River Bridge.  After a grueling eight-hour car ride, we arrived at our youth hostel for one last night of sleep before the big event.  It was such a relief that we planned the jump early in the morning the following day because it really did not give any of us time to think about what we were about to go through with.  I got out of the van and immediately looked at the bridge.  As my stomach started to turn, all of my emotions suddenly rushed through me.  I was frightened, eager, nervous, and so confused as to why I was about to voluntarily fling my body off of a bridge.  Before we made our way across the bridge, we took our last Loch Road group huddle where we had the chance to as we call it “throw it into the bag.”  Everyone shouted words such as courage, strength, self-determination, and power with the hope that we could all take in these things for the next few moments of our lives. 

Next thing I know, I’m walking across a metal bridge where all you can look is down and all you can think is: Shoot, this is where I will be in a matter of a few minutes.  As we trudged across the bridge on what seemed like the longest walk of my life, I suddenly felt an overwhelming feeling of determination.  I knew I was ready to jump.  Finally we reached the platform in the middle of the bridge and I glanced over the edge.  It was finally time to push myself.  The loud techno music playing in the background helped all of the unsettling thoughts exit my mind.  Erica was the first one up.  It felt like I was watching a magic trick or something.  She was standing on the edge and then all of the sudden she vanished.  My mind chose to treat this scene as an illusion as if it wasn’t really happening.  Next up, Leah.  I think okay I know can do this.   She steps up to the platform.  Arms out and she is gone.   I watch as the rope frantically unravels off of the platform.  It is Brittany’s turn now.  We cheer her on as she prepares to dive into the abyss.  I’m called up to be the fourth jumper.  Brittany places her arms carefully in the sky and is gone.  As my legs were getting tied and I was being told the safety rules, I just couldn’t bare to pay attention.  My mind was trying to wrap around the extent of what I would be doing.   Something that my body physically knows is a huge red flag.  All the sudden before I knew it my feet were at the very edge of what felt like the whole entire world.  It was time.  I lifted my arms as the workers shouted FIVE…. No way I’m backing out now…FOUR…. breathed one last deep breathe …THREE…closed my eyes and said a prayer…. TWO…opened my eyes and looked into the blue sky around me…ONE BUNGEE!  I jumped off the edge and it was nothing like I thought it would ever be.  It felt like the world stop around me and I was just floating there.  Just the Earth and I together in harmony.  It was the most surreal feeling of my life.  I never would have thought that jumping 216 meters off of a bridge would be the most serene experience of my life. 

I hung there upside down and realized for the first time in my life that I am literally capable of anything.  When I say anything I mean anything.  When I jumped off of that bridge I left all of my insecurities and fears on the platform all the way at the top.  Hanging there with me was confidence, inner-strength, and the ability to take action.  In the future when I’m faced with a situation where I tell myself I can’t, all I need to do is remind myself that I jumped off of the highest bridge in the world.  

No comments:

Post a Comment