University of Connecticut Cape Town Study Abroad Program

University of Connecticut Cape Town Study Abroad Program
Front: Leah, Erica, Kayley; Second Row:Adam, Meredith, Sarah, Katherine, Pamela, Michelle, Rachel, Brittany; Back: Marita, Vincent, Brett, Vernon

Thursday, February 25, 2010

Sarah on Thandokhulu High School

I’ve officially been at Thandokhulu for two weeks, and I can’t say I regret my sudden decision to change paths.  While it is certainly a stressful environment, one of my main goals in South Africa is to never get complacent, to never feel like I’m content in my own comfort zone.  And I am certainly not in my comfort zone here.

Out of over 1000 people, I am the only white, native English speaker in the school (not including the other two UConn interns).  There have been times when I am teaching in a classroom and another teacher will come through the door and speak to the class in Xhosa, leaving all the students laughing hysterically.  She’ll then turn around and walk out without any sort of explanation, leaving a class of 50 students laughing at God knows what.  So, to say the least, I’m the outsider.  While it is certainly something I have never experienced before, the stress is juxtaposed by the generosity and kindheartedness of those working in the school system.  While I do not think such niceties are extended to the children, as the faculty strongly believes in being “strict,” I personally have felt welcomed.

I have been given one 11th grade class to teach, and the students are so cooperative and nice.  I feel more comfortable than I ever would have imagined.  I have never even considered becoming a teacher before, but the students have made it an easy transition.

More rewarding than my classes, however, has been the afterschool reading program Leah and I are participating in.  This past Tuesday was our first day.  I noticed a girl writing furiously in one of my classes, so I asked her if she was writing for fun.  I half expected an apathetic, ‘leave-me-alone-you-stupid-teacher’ response, but she seemed so enthusiastic.  I told her and a few of her friends to come to the book club.  Not only did they show up, but so did over 100 others.  I was just totally blown away.  I never expected to convince more than a couple of kids to stay after school after waking up at 4 in the morning to go to something that sounds as lame as “book club.”  I know I never would have.  It made me realize how much I have taken my education for granted.  My schooling was literally handed to me.  I hardly lifted a finger when it came to learning; in fact, I actually resisted education and instruction of any kind.  Fortunately, unfairly some might say, I had the resources and support to graduate with ease.  I always knew I would go to college, I know I’ll get a job.  These are privileges that were literally just handed to me, and these students work so hard just to get a fraction of that.

The reading program is run by a group of people out of the University of Cape Town.  They came with a box full of books and planned to rent them out to the students, sort of like a mini library.  With over 100 students who wanted a book, they were simply underprepared and under resourced.  They started handing books out to the 12th graders and worked their way down through the 8th graders, leaving most of the younger kids empty handed.  Towards the end of the massive scramble for books, the woman who heads the program noticed a group of three older looking students in the back of the room.  She asked them if they got a book, and they responded despondently, “No miss.”  She told them to come back next week and they would see what they could do.  I walked to the back of the room to find out a little about them.  All three boys were in 12th grade, meaning they would be taking the Matric (a final exam that’s administered in English) in a few short months.  I asked them what they were interested in so I could keep an eye out for books they might like.  One boy’s response was, “Anything.  Just any book.  English please.”  It absolutely broke my heart.  I’m going to look at some second hand book stores on Monday, so they should be all set with a book by Tuesday.  I just have had a hard time getting those boys out of my mind.

Book club has really given me a chance to connect with students on a personal level, and it’s only been one session.  I’m so excited about getting them excited, if that makes any sense.  Their enthusiasm is more than I expected, so it shouldn’t be difficult.

2 comments:

  1. Sarah, I am in the process of gathering high school age books here in CT. I'll be meeting with the New Milford Public Library on Monday to sort through some books. The Gunn library and the high school also have books they will donate. Erica also posted a wish list on Amazon that people can go to, buy a book and they will ship it to me. I am raising funds to ship the boxes of books early in March! God bless you and your fellow interns. You are doing wonderful work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way, if any of the UConn families back home want to donate books, they can contact me. eazanemd@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete