University of Connecticut Cape Town Study Abroad Program

University of Connecticut Cape Town Study Abroad Program
Front: Leah, Erica, Kayley; Second Row:Adam, Meredith, Sarah, Katherine, Pamela, Michelle, Rachel, Brittany; Back: Marita, Vincent, Brett, Vernon

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Adam on expanding his horizons


My time in South Africa is going by so quickly.  It’s hard to believe that soon enough it will already be March.  The good news is I feel like I’m making the most of this wonderful experience.  Whether it’s hiking, surfing, or just hanging around with people in the house I feel like I’m truly making the most of my current situation.  Sometimes I just have to sit back and reflect on what I’ve done and just all these crazy new ideas that seem to be whirling around in my head.  I think ‘expanding’ is the word I’m looking for with what’s happening to my mind.

Last week for my internship at Black Sash I was fortunate enough to attend the annual budget speech at Parliament.  It was a great experience full of information and interesting people.  Tefarah, the other intern, and I mostly walked around Parliament with our Black Sash t-shirts on taking pictures and listening in on the budget speech.  At one point President Zuma and his whole entourage walked right past us, which was a semi-star struck moment.  It was interesting seeing the politicians and socialites dressed to a T in contrast to the protesters that were standing just outside the gate.  It definitely put into perspective where South Africa is as far as disparity is concerned.

My second most memorable experience I’ve had this past week has been our two-day twenty-mile hike.  It was an awesome time that I’m very happy we did.  It was grueling and very hot at times, but in the end it was worth it.  The views, foliage, wildlife and just all of it were so great.  Once we got to the cabin we were exhausted and we made hot dogs, beans, rice, corn, and other vegetables.  Everything tastes delicious after a day of hiking 12 miles.  Like the rest of my experiences I’ve been having here the hike tested me and left its mark on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment