University of Connecticut Cape Town Study Abroad Program

University of Connecticut Cape Town Study Abroad Program
Front: Leah, Erica, Kayley; Second Row:Adam, Meredith, Sarah, Katherine, Pamela, Michelle, Rachel, Brittany; Back: Marita, Vincent, Brett, Vernon

Sunday, February 7, 2010

Michelle's first post


After reading all of my classmates’ entries, it is almost hard to find someplace to start. All of the students here have had such deeply felt emotions and thoughts that it is hard to follow!

I guess I will start with my internship experience so far. I am an anthropology major with a minor in women’s studies, so in coming to South Africa I was really looking to work with a women’s organization and more specifically with issues of women’s health. I was very excited to be placed at a non-profit called Sonke Gender Justice Forum, which works with young men and boys to stop violence against women. Last week we visited everyone’s internship, and my place of work was slotted to be visited last. However, Vernon informed me in the morning that something had happened and we simply wouldn’t visit that day. I was optimistic, and was sure that I could find the place come the next Monday morning.

Over the weekend, however, things at Sonke fell through, for one reason or another, and it was time to find me a new internship. Vernon, with all his thoughtfulness and wisdom said to me, “Michelle, I have some propositions for you.” I was slightly nervous about changing my internship, and listened to Vernon’s propositions. I could have gone to the Gender Equity Unity with Brittany, worked at the Place of Hope, a domestic violence shelter, or, a third and intriguing option, Gender DynamiX. Gender DynamiX is the only transgender rights and advocacy group in all of Africa. Although most of my studies focus around women’s issues, I was eager and slightly nervous to work at a place with issues unfamiliar to me.

After talking to Ben, our RA, I had decided that GDX was the place for me. We really evaluated what I was looking for in my time here, and the answer was simply to learn. If my goal is to learn, and specifically to learn about oppression, then there is no better place to learn than at an organization that helps the most oppressed, stigmatized population in the country. Homophobia is a whole other animal here than in the States. Here it is acceptable for political leaders and reporters alike to use openly homophobic and hate-inciting language.

Since starting, I have had, if I may say so myself, one of the most unique internship experiences. The wonderful people at GDX are not only battling race and class issues like most non-white South Africans, but they also must face the world while being discriminated against because of their sexual and/or gender identity. I have been thrown into a world where gender is truly a spectrum, not on paper in my women’s studies textbooks, but in real life. It has given me a lot to think about with my own gender identity, and how I classify myself as a woman, and interestingly, how society deems me to be a woman. It has also given me a lot to think about in terms of my role as an ally to the LGBTI movement. My first few days I felt a little on the outside of conversations, not quite feeling that I belonged at GDX, being the only person who is not LGBTI. When I talked to Brittany about my insecurities she reminded me that no matter how long the acronym for LGBTI(QQOA…etc.) there is always an A at the end for Ally.

In other news about gender, here at the house, we talk of our bodies openly, and much to the chagrin of the two men, conversations about ovulation and synched cycles is normal breakfast chatter. I have never lived in a house with so many women, and it is an empowering and freeing feeling. We sit for hours talking about love, men, women, our sexual identities and society. In tradition with my favorite book, The Red Tent, we are even thinking of hosting a party with the new moon. I have learned almost as much about gender from my wonderfully open and honest housemates as I have at my internship.  

No comments:

Post a Comment