University of Connecticut Cape Town Study Abroad Program

University of Connecticut Cape Town Study Abroad Program
Front: Leah, Erica, Kayley; Second Row:Adam, Meredith, Sarah, Katherine, Pamela, Michelle, Rachel, Brittany; Back: Marita, Vincent, Brett, Vernon

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Adam's first blog entry

My experience is South Africa so far has been amazing. In my first few days here I was jet lagged and felt as if I was walking around in some sort of surreal dream world. I listened to people talk, I smelled the smells, and tasted the food yet none of it registered. Then after a few naps and a good nights rest I started to awaken a bit. The clouds drifted away revealing Table Mountain in all of its grandeur and all of a sudden the people and places became real.

I walked down Main Street in Rondebosch at first a bit startled by the mini-bus taxi hawkers leaning out the windows shouting the names of places like Wynberg and Belleville. Then after riding on these crowded mini-bus taxis a couple of times it started to become the norm. After becoming a little more acclimated to my surroundings I became more able to take in all of activities that were packed into orientation week.

I started to get the flavor of the real South Africa by visiting places like Swingers, Greenmarket Square, and the University of Cape Town. I started to discover a vibrant culture in places like Long Street and a Baptist Church, but soon saw Cape Town’s underbelly in the townships and the faces of the beggars on the streets. It was then that I realized that South Africa still has a long way to go.

I became more informed about South Africa’s history by visiting the Slave Lodge and the District 6 Museum. Robben Island proved to be an emotional test for some, but I tried to take it for what it was: a sad and unfortunate history. I attempted to focus more on South Africa’s future and not dwell on its past.

The warmth and hospitality that I have received from Vernon, Marita and Ben made me feel truly comfortable from the time I stepped out of the airport. Everyday I have learned or discovered something new. It is because of this that I know my experience in South Africa will be a life changing one.

1 comment:

  1. Since you will be working on human rights issues, you certainly cannot forget the past, however, it is good not to dwell on it. Your positive attitude and your desire to focus on the future will help you accomplish great things. Your knowledge of the past will inform your ideas on policies for the future in a positive way.

    ReplyDelete