University of Connecticut Cape Town Study Abroad Program

University of Connecticut Cape Town Study Abroad Program
Front: Leah, Erica, Kayley; Second Row:Adam, Meredith, Sarah, Katherine, Pamela, Michelle, Rachel, Brittany; Back: Marita, Vincent, Brett, Vernon

Sunday, January 31, 2010

Pamela's first blog entry



Molo! (Hello)
Howzit?

I’ve been in South Africa for two weeks now, and these past weeks have been the most amazing! On January 16th we landed at Johannesburg Airport after a 13 hour long airplane ride and then we took another 2 hour airplane ride to Cape Town. I was exhausted but as soon as I landed in Cape Town and saw the beautiful view of table mountain top, I forgot all about my exhaustion and the fact that I had been on a plane for the past fifteen hours. So far we have been meeting so many people and it seems to me that the more I meet people the friendlier they are, this is such a welcoming and friendly nation. The people , the culture and the scenery are beautiful!
On our first week in Cape Town we have been doing a lot of touristy activities and getting to know our neighborhood.

-We’ve eaten Ethiopian and traditional South African dishes that were
very good and different from what I’m used to but it was very delicious! It was a wonderful experience.

- We visited the University of Cape Town (UCT) where we will be taking our classes for the next 3 months… it is such a large and beautiful campus.

- We went to the Kirstenbosh Botanical Garden were I saw the most beautiful garden with all kinds of plants and trees , and there I had a very beautiful view of Table Mountain.

-We also been visiting museums … we went to the Slave Lodge where our host Lucy Campbell gave us a tour. The Slave Lodge is where slaves were held to be sold in Cape Town . Lucy gave us a detailed tour it was very powerful because she said a few things that really touch me such as “ Ten years ago, I didn’t know where I was from. Ask me today . I am from everywhere . I am from Africa!”. That’s where I started to understand the past of this country where people were separated because of the color of their skin , some didn’t know where they came from but now they know.

-In the same day we also visited the District six museum where Mr. Joe Schaffers gave us a tour and made me understand in depth the apartheid laws where in the district 6 the people classified as “colored” or “black” were taken away from their homes and put in townships. Mr. Schaffer said “ Not until we bleed different colors do we have a different race. Until then we are one race… Humans” that sentence made me realize that race doesn’t really matter it’s the person that we are that matters.

-The next day we departed for Robben Island where I had the chance to seethe jail cell of Nelson Mandela and the other prisoners who fought for this country. There again we had an amazing tour guide, he used to be a political prisoner at that prison, he told us his story and made me realize there is so much more to learn about the motivation of these people to liberate this country that people on the outside don’t know, it was a very painful experience for these people living under apartheid laws.

- I also got to visit the National Baptist Church in Gugulettu which is one of the townships, where I experienced profound faith. Even though I did not understand most of what the people were saying because they were speaking in Xhosa. Through their singing I could feel their strength, faith and pain . I came to the conclusion that language is never a barrier , even though I did not understand what they were saying but we
did connect on the spiritual level. We visited some of the township where I saw extreme poverty, I saw worse poverty before but then again that’s where I realized how fortunate some us are and most of the time don’t even realize it.

- We went to Cape Point where I had the most beautiful view of both the Atlantic and Indian ocean. I felt like I was on top of the world. In that same day I had the chance to observe Ostriches, Baboons, Zebras, Cheetahs, and penguins in the wild. That was such a beautiful day.

The second week we spent visiting the different internships we will be working at. I had the chance to visit Christel house where I met the kids from grade R. I was very happy to meet them and I have the chance to help them write the number one. Most of these children came from impoverished backgrounds and predominantly speak Xhosa , they were very welcoming and happy. I was very happy and excited to meet them. I cannot wait to start my internship on Monday where I get to help and become closer to these kids and hopefully I will be able to help make a difference in their lives.

Coming to South Africa was one of the best decisions that I made . This journey will be a learning and growing experience for me. I will be learning many different things both personally and academically. I am very thankful for this opportunity and I will make the best out of it.

Thandhokulu ! (much love)

2 comments:

  1. I know you will make a difference in the lives of all the children you work with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pamy, you are awesome!! I am crying reading your blog, but you know me!! ;) We all miss you terribly, but we are so proud of you!! Big hug, cherie!! Cia

    ReplyDelete