University of Connecticut Cape Town Study Abroad Program

University of Connecticut Cape Town Study Abroad Program
Front: Leah, Erica, Kayley; Second Row:Adam, Meredith, Sarah, Katherine, Pamela, Michelle, Rachel, Brittany; Back: Marita, Vincent, Brett, Vernon

Monday, November 1, 2010

Brett's journey back across time and distance


Cape Point, South Africa, January 2010
It has now been about six months since I have been back from South Africa. I am in a general routine of what I do every day, from classes, to the library, to the dining hall, and the dorm, sometimes the gym, or running outside. It is nice to run, outside, in my new sneakers, against the blacktop, on campus or on the roads around. The days are getting colder now, the air a bit sharper, I feel it in my heels and in my lungs. I study in the library, and play guitar in my dorm room mostly. It is Life as I have known it. There is a full moon tonight, I think that is exciting, once a month there is a full moon, as much a reason to celebrate as anything, more reliable than grades. South Africa is 7000 miles away. I don’t say this with sadness, or ‘homesickness’, the separation of land is 7000 miles. The separation of time is 6 months. I am back on the life track now, on the track of school and studies, and I am plugging away, at this necessary evil, or if not evil, inconvenience. So many boxes, that we live in, from our bedrooms to our classrooms to our kitchens, and it is hard to think outside them mostly, or dangerous, if I want to stay on track. This is not the best of all possible worlds, it certainly isn’t the worst, but one would think that privilege would guarantee a certain amount ease, or happiness. Power yes, for diplomas are powerful, and easy in comparison to the lives of others, but not easy none the less.  As the plane pulled into JFK airport I felt a sense of familiarity engulf me as the plane taxied along the runway. It was drizzling that day, and we pulled in under the clouds. I no longer feel the heat of the African sun on my skin when I wake up in the morning; the climate is mellow here. Back in the suburbs, the realities of life and death are mellow, and with it, the unspoken bond of humanity.

4 comments:

  1. Currently more than 3,300 beaches are part of the Blue Flag programme in countries all around the world, including, Bulgaria, Croatia, Iceland, Turkey, Jamaica, Romania and Scotland. Countries that haven't quite reached Blue Flag status yet, but are in the pilot phase of the programme include Tunisia, Chile, the Dominican Republic, Malta, Brazil and Aruba. South Africa has 16 beaches in the pilot phase and hopes that they will achieve Blue Flag status in time for the Soccer World Cup in 2010. These beaches include: Fish Hoek (Cape Town), Kleinmond (Hermanus), Cannon Rocks (Eastern Cape) and Trafalgar (Hibiscus Coast Municipality). Find more references at: life coaching

    ReplyDelete
  2. Studying abroad is very fun! You get to meet interesting people with fresh stories to share.

    scholarships for study abroad

    ReplyDelete
  3. you are posting a good information for people and keep maintain and give more update too.
    Online Tax Services
    Tax Professional
    Online Tax Preparation
    Tax Advisor

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the informative article. This is one of the best resources I have found in quite some time. Nicely written and great info. I really cannot thank you enough for sharing.

    Restaurant in OMR
    Apartments in OMR
    Villas in OMR
    Resorts in OMR

    ReplyDelete