University of Connecticut Cape Town Study Abroad Program

University of Connecticut Cape Town Study Abroad Program
Front: Leah, Erica, Kayley; Second Row:Adam, Meredith, Sarah, Katherine, Pamela, Michelle, Rachel, Brittany; Back: Marita, Vincent, Brett, Vernon

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Sarah on books and so much more


Sarah with some books from book drive at Thandokhulu Secondary School

I’ve barely had time to breathe this past week or so.  Between final essays, goodbye braiis, and finishing things up at Thandokhulu, I have literally been going non-stop.  Such a frantic rush to fit everything in and make sure I will have some closure in this country has made me realize just how invested I am in everyone and everything I have been a part of here.  What I have found most moving is the culmination of Thandokhulu’s first library.

I have known for some time now that a book drive was going on in the states.  While I was definitely excited to make some sort of lasting impression at this school, I don’t think it really hit me until recently.  To be able to physically touch the books our friends and family have sent over has sparked emotions I never expected.  These are not just books that were found thrown in people’s basement—every single one of the almost three hundred books was selected with immeasurable care and consideration from loved ones back home.  Every book I pick up, I tape a label on it and wonder who read it first, whose life it touched, and who wanted to pass it on to a faceless child, hoping it would do the same for them.  And it’s just because I asked them to. 

No one from home knows the students here, they don’t know their interests, their sense of humor, the things they like to do in their free time.  They just know this school and the people involved mean so much to us.  I can pick up a book and think of a specific student who would love it.  I can pick up the next book and know immediately who it came from.  I picked up Of Mice and Men and couldn’t help but smile.  I knew my Mom had sent that one.  I picked up another with an inscription on the inside that read, “Happy Birthday Dad” and I immediately remembered buying that book over three years ago with my friend from home.  I know its just one book.  And I know if a student reads that one book, their life will still be pretty much the same.  But just thinking about how that one book is connected through so many people, how it was chosen by each person, and how much thought and love has been passed along with it is something I never would have considered up until these past few days.

So I know its sort of lame to thank people through a study abroad blog, and I’m not even sure who actually reads this thing.  But thank you to anyone who had a part in this.  I wish you could be here to see it, but apparently my word is enough.  So thank you.


No comments:

Post a Comment